Trumpublican trump·ub·li·can(trəmˈpəbləkən) n. – a person opposing establishment politics advocating a republican government in the form of a smaller, fiscally responsible government held accountable for the protection of and service to the American people first and foremost.
Okay, so this post might generate a bit of controversy, but when I started realizing what was happening, it became impossible to restrain myself. After all, Democrats are Democrats and Republicans are Republicans, right? Maybe not. It may be that Democrats are really Trumpublican.
What brought this on? I was watching the Democratic National Convention and listening carefully to the points that each of the speakers continued to make and it became more and more evident that they were pushing the Republican agenda under the guise of the Democratic Party.
Granted, there were some major flaws in the underlying arguments and there are still chasms of difference on social issues like abortion and status quo, but it was surprising nonetheless that establishment Dems were pushing GOP selling points. Maybe not the establishment, but everyday Democrats are really Trumpublican. They just don’t know it yet.
How did I come to this stark realization? Let’s take a closer look.
- Trade Agreements – Trump has always argued that our trade agreements are badly negotiated and not good for the American economy. The worst, NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) was signed into law by Bill Clinton. The Hillster has always been for the TPP and now has suddenly switched position? Very interesting. To Bernie’s credit, he has also always been critical of our trade agreements.
- Divisiveness – As a population, we all want to eliminate racial tensions. What is the best way to do this? According to establishment DNC, we should bring up mothers of criminals and focus on racial divisions, right? Wrong! We have to get past them and the only way to do that is to move forward, not look back. Law and Order in our neighborhoods, especially inner city, is crucial. Equality is actually much farther along than establishment DNC wants you to believe, but what better way to take your mind off the real issues than by filling it with ideas of racial inequality and division. The same is true of gender inequality. Is there room for improvement? Always, but let’s focus on moving forward instead of things we cannot change like the past. By the way, Republicans were the original anti-slavery party.
- Jobs vs. Wages – What do we all really want? Whether the minimum wage is $8, $10 or $15 it doesn’t really matter. There is no way a person can support themselves, much less a family, at these wages and it is only going to get worse. All of these are poverty level wages and, in reality, they don’t matter if you can’t get a job. So what do we really want? We want jobs. When there are full-time, consistent jobs a person can enter at one point and move up the ladder from there. How do we generate jobs? Companies and entrepreneurs create jobs. No matter what establishment Dems say, we have nothing if we don’t have jobs. What is worse, their idea of creating jobs is government sponsored infrastructure improvement, but that is like paying yourself to work. You don’t create any wealth. Government by its very design cannot be the ‘creator’ of jobs.
- Borders – There is not a country in the world that does not enforce immigration laws. Well, maybe there is one right now – us! The drain on infrastructure and employment is such that it is not sustainable and enforcement of immigration laws is far from the evil monster that establishment Dems make it out to be. We have always been and will always be a nation of immigrants, but it has to be legal and we have to protect our citizens by vetting those who come in. This is the greatest nation on the planet, but without laws, education and society we are nothing but a quagmire of debt sucking us dry.
- Establishment Republicans try to sell that the national debt belongs to Obama. While he did nothing to diminish the debt and nothing to curb the debt increases, he is not solely responsible. We will escape his administration at around $21,000,000,000,000 in debt which is nothing to shrug your shoulders at. Establishment Dems point the fingers at Bush and his administration which realized the largest financial crisis since the Great Depression (spoiler: keep your eyes open for a “Dead Cat Bounce” in the near future), but that is not the source either. Bush should not have bailed anyone out or started QE1, but then Obama added to it with QE2 and QE3. Bearing with me momentarily, the real genesis belongs to Alan Greenspan and Bill Clinton when they took the reigns off of Wall Street and allowed the money guys to do whatever they wanted. That resulted in a super-heated housing market, unrestrained lending and the real culprit – Mortgage Backed Securities. So while “Establishment” is busy pointing fingers, here we are stuck in the mud of a sluggish economy that won’t go anywhere. Time to Trumpersize it!
- Terrorism – One area of difference at the establishment level is the response to terrorism. Democrat leaders seem to be ignoring the problem because they have always downplayed the issue. It seems obvious to me that Establishment Dems are selling “Feel Good” politics. Problem is that everyday Dems know the problem exists. They see it every single day. Well now leadership Dems cannot acknowledge it because that lends credence to Trump. This is a critical flaw in the Dem approach to getting elected, but it is a quandry to which there is no exit for them. In this capacity, a Trumpublican has the upper hand.
- Integrity – This is a double-edged sword no matter what window you see this through. Clinton has obvious integrity issues that don’t need to be mentioned again in this article. Suffice it to say that her integrity issues include deception and lies whereas Trump integrity is primarily questioned due to his inability to contain his words in his head. Let’s think about that for a moment though. If he is saying whatever is on his mind, is that perhaps a good thing and not a bad thing. Instead of the picture of lack of integrity being painted, my personal opinion is that I would rather have a brutally honest President than one who is proven to lie and cover-up when it comes to communicating with the American public.
- Law & Order – There is little doubt that citizens on both sides of the aisle are pro Law & Order. There is no question when it comes to supporting our police and our judicial system. To do otherwise is to promote substandard performance in law enforcement and further decay in inner city strife. So what becomes surprising is the overt snub by establishment Dems given to law enforcement and police throughout the nation. There is no doubt that many will question the decision by DNC leadership to promote speeches by mothers of criminals and to make unsupported statements that clearly promote friction between the public and law enforcement. At some point, citizens must realize that a nation is nothing without law and order. When they do, they will realize they are Trumpublican.
The Purposeful Lie
In all fairness, there are some differences in political point of view, but I will argue that Dems are closer to being a Trumpublican than they realize. Millennials, when they actually research issues (rather than just listening to talking heads) will understand that they are surprisingly Trumpublican.
So why would Establishment on either side of the aisle want to keep us in a state of ignorance? Well this one is easy. While we are out here struggling and ‘following’ our leaders, they are sitting comfy and cozy with their retirement programs, health benefits and limited work schedule. I mean, think about it, what would you do to protect your lifelong career in politics. I will argue that, while it is bad on the Republican side, it is worse on the Democrat side. Career politicians are lying to us and that is why Bernie and Donald have done so well. Americans are sick and tired of status quo.
Where I have the biggest issue is the practice of “Feel Good” politics and the turning of facts into emotional misstatements. To paint shootings of black men by white police officers as up, when in reality the number is down by a significant percentage is inflammatory and inaccurate. More importantly, it is irresponsible and that is what we need right now, a responsible government. And what about all the lives lost to crime in our nation? Create jobs where there is a path to the future and create neighborhoods where it is safe to go outside once again and you create peace and prosperity.
To Establishment Democrats (and Republicans) – quit lying and working to maintain the lifestyle that career politics has provided you. That is why outsiders are doing so well, because the American population (everyone) is sick and tired of where career politics has taken us. To be Trumpublican means that you too are sick and tired of where we are as a nation.
Time for “We the People” to Unite
We are not able to sustain debt soon to reach $21 trillion. As a society, we will not be able to function when the middle class disappears. The day when people wake up and find that they have ceded all of their rights to the government that is supposed to work for them, that is a day when revolution will become more than protest. Whether you like it or not, Trump is the only outsider left and the last chance to try to turn the Titanic. We cannot go forward like this so this is my call for unity.
Our Republic was designed by our founders with a small government to be run by citizens who had a calling for public service, not self-service. Until we eliminate career politics, we will not be able to escape the quagmire that is our political system, but we can take one small step in the right direction this November because we are the people in “We the People”.